Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thou shall not sleep

Okay, so I wanted to sit down and write my next ba-log! It is the perfect time! It's really late. It's so late, I'm wondering wether it has passed onto too early. Where does the line cross from night to morning? We say 4.30 in the morning, but if someone calls us at 4.30 in the morning, we say 'Why the hell are you calling me in the middle of the night?'. Nonetheless, it's very late, or very early, even the chickens and hens are asleep. The roosters of the world will soon get up and sing their morning solo operas, which has got to be a curse from God, cause the ability (rather disability) to actually produce that soul-cringing noise from the poor roosters' own vocal chords has to be natures way of punishing them somehow (don't even get me started on crows, or sea-gulls). But anyway, I think what I'm trying to say to you, is that it's late, which is always the best time for me to be creative, especially when it comes to writing.

I have always written when it's been late, in the middle of the night and I feel as if everyone on Earth is sleeping, and I have the whole world quietly to myself, to emancipate my mind and just let the words flow. It's how I've written all my essays, all my poems and songs, all my personal letters to people, and so on. There is something about this time of the day that is completely fascinating. Sleep is overrated! Sure, it's satisfying, there's nothing like that comforting feeling of when you realize that you're a half of a second away from falling asleep and you're in a full state of calm. So don't get me wrong, sleep is awesome. But for me, it goes both ways. I can manage with just a couple of hours of sleep. And I really also want to use this time-period to create. I've designed one of my most positively critiqued buildings at this time. And I once wrote a story at this time, which made half of the audience I read it to, cry, and my literature teacher make a copy of it and read it in all of his other classes. I heard that it is still used as an example in some schools for story-writing assignments. In other words, this particular time of the day has helped me achieve some of my highlight moments of my academic and personal work.

I doubt that I will ever cease working at night. It is my source of inspiration and my loophole to another world.


Did you know that a person spends a third of her life sleeping?! If you live to be 90, that is 27 years of your life. TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS! Imagine you're 90 years old and could've in total had at least an extra 12 years in your youth to live and do things, if you just slept less. That would be a devastating thing to realize at that point.

We get more tired as we grow older, so naturally I'll sleep more when I'm older, which means I should really use this time efficiently.


Sorry if you're reading this just before you were about to go to bed. This is an individual thing. This is what works for me. Others maybe work at their best only if they had a goodnight sleep and need a solid 8 hours to reach their peak of efficiency during the day. I am so curious to learn about other people. I want to know how other people live. How they experience things, how they look at things. Learning about how other people work, is a pure way of learning about yourself. By comparing how other people function, you become more aware of how you work, and that's important. I think I'm gonna make that a quote. "To get to know others, is the perfect way to get to know yourself." - Bekim Aliji. "Comparison is the key to self-awareness." - Bekim Aliji.

It's a shame blogging isn't as reciprocating as YouTube, where thousands of people comment every minute, everyday, with their thoughts on theories, issues or questions of the subject. Blogging means giving up the chance for a myriad of response from people out the in the world, but, so be it. Video-blogging is really not for me. I like the entertaining aspect of it, but blogging is to me a more satisfying outlet of getting your opinion out there. I show myself through my words. It's the same reason I love photography. Sure, I love doing photoshoots of me, but get more satisfaction being behind the camera. Showing myself through photographing other things.


I am really eager to discover good blogs. By good I mean genuine, serious, vigorous blogs, that show depth without necessarily having to be deep. Geoff Manaugh's blog is one that astounds me. A genius mind that never ceases to amaze me. Having luckily met Geoff Manaugh in person, and listening to him talk, just made his credibility more powerful. No wonder his blog turned into a published book.

Although, I also enjoy more minuscule personal blogs. I like reading about someone else's life events and their daily activities, even if it doesn't entail a fascinating story, as long as it's sensible. I cannot handle blogs that include postings of the outfit of the day, the comparing of this celebrities hotness to that celebrities, the top 5 dos and don'ts on a date, or how today that friend totally betrayed the person, by going out with his or her ex. If I read another juvenile blog from an incompetent moron like that, I may have to shave my head!

An example of a delightful personal blog, is my friend Li's blog. It's a light, quick, peppy, and funny blog that reflects her personality in a realistic manner.

If you read this and have a dignified blog, where the 'b' doesn't stand for 'bimbo' or 'bogus', please let me know, I would love to expand my blog affiliation.


Now go, sleep, or don't sleep, whatever works for you, and tomorrow is another ba-log day!

No comments:

Post a Comment